Community & Collection Policies
eVols is a partnership between eVols Communities, the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) Library, and UHM administration. eVols content consists of Collections produced by institutions or agencies in Hawaii and beyond, which are managed, preserved, and distributed by UHM Library through eVols. Some of the collections will be subject to institutional guidelines defined by UHM administration. As in all partnerships, it is important that all eVols stakeholders understand and agree to the policies, guidelines, and procedures required to build a eVols repository. The following policy statements have been developed over a period of time with input from various parties.
What is an eVols Community?
A eVols Community is an administrative unit that produces research or has guardianship over research, documents, or special collections; has a defined leader; has long-term stability; and can assume responsibility for setting Community policies. Each community must be able to assign a coordinator who can work with eVols staff.
What are a Community's Responsibilities?
An eVols Community agrees to:
- Arrange for submission and description of content
- Notify eVols of organizational changes affecting submissions
- Reply to annual reconfirmation of community information
- Understand and observe UHM policies relevant to eVols, and educate Community submitters regarding these policies
- Clear copyright for items submitted when the copyright owner is other than the author(s) or UHM
- Decide upon a submission workflow for each Collection
What are a Community's Rights?
An eVols Community retains the right to:
- Decide policy regarding content to be submitted (within eVols guidelines
- Decide who may submit content within the Community
- Limit access to content at the item level to UHM
- Receive a copy of submitted content upon request
- Remove items and Collections (see the Withdrawal Policy)
- Approve the addition or elimination fo Sub-communities
- Customize interfaces to Community content
What are UHM Library's Responsibilities?
eVols agrees to:
- Retain and maintain content submitted to eVols
- Distribute content according to Community decisions (to UHM minimally, unless prior approval is granted by eVols Policy Committee)
- Preserve content using accepted preservation techniques
- Provide access to eVols research
- Notify Communities of significant changes to content, e.g., format migration
- If UHM Library ceases to support eVols, return Collections to existing Communities and transfer to UHM Archives all Collections of Communities that have ceased to exist
What are UHM Library's Rights?
eVols retains the right to:
- Redistribute or amend metadata for items in eVols
- Refuse or de-accession items or Collections under certain circumstances (see the Withdrawal Policy)
- Renegotiate terms of original agreement with Communities
- Perform appraisal for long-term archiving when Communities cease to exist or within thirty years of the creation of a Collection
- Move Collections to reflect current understanding between eVols and Communities
- Migrate items if format is in danger of obsolescence
- Set quotas (size of files, number of items) to determine what constitutes free service and after which point to charge a fee
- Charge fee for activities requiring extensive centralized support from eVols (e.g., large amount of de-accesssioning)
What are UHM's Responsibilities?
UHM agrees to:
- Set policy at the Institute level regarding issues that affect eVols, such as copyright rules, thesis requirements, etc.
- Support functions mandated by existing policies
UHM Library foresees times when it may be necessary to remove items from the repository. Under some circumstances items will be removed from view, but to avoid loss of the historical record, all such transactions will be traced in the form of a note in the «Description.provenance» field of the Dublin Core record. The content of the note will be one of the following:
- "Removed from view at request of the author"
- "Removed from view at UHM's discretion"
- "Removed from view at UHM Library's discretion"
- "Removed from view by legal order"
Because any eVols item that has existed at some time may have been cited, we will always supply a "tombstone" when someone requests a removed item. This information will include the original metadata (for verification) plus one of the above withdrawal statements in place of the link to the object. The metadata will be visible, but not searchable. These items will also be made unavailable for metadata harvesting.
Return to all policies and guidelines.