Photo taken by John Tichotsky.
Robert B. Valliant
Director of Student Academic Services (SPAS)
Retired, August 2009
- PhD University of Hawaii, History, 1970
- MA University of Hawaii, 1968
- BA University of Texas at Austin, 1966
- Northeast Asia, Russian Far East, Japan (politics, economics, social affairs)
- SUPAR/RA Report, compiler and editor, 17 issues (1986-1994)
Work continued as "Database on Russia in Asia," covering 1988-2009.
- "Vladivostok: 'City and Ocean' in Russia's Far East." In Broeze, Frank, ed. Gateways of Asia: Port Cities of Asia in the 13th-20th Centuries London, New York: Kegan Paul Internationl, 1997, p. 265-293.
- "Moscow and the Russian Far East: The Political Dimension." In Akaha, Tsuneo, ed. Politics and Economics in the Russian Far East: Changing Ties with Asia-Pacific. London, New York: Routledge, 1997, p. 3-22.
- "Chronology of Events, 1985-1994." In Goodby, James E., Vladimir Ivanov, and Nobuo Shmotomai, eds. "Northern Territories" and Beyond: Russian, Japanese, and American Perspectives. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1995, p.313-339.
- "The Western United States, Hawaii, and the Soviet Union." In Valencia, Mark J., ed. The Russian Far East and the Northe Pacific Region: Emerging Issues in International Relations Honolulu: East-West Center, 1992, p.93-110.
- "Inner Mongolia, 1912: The Failure of Independence." Mongolian Studies 4 (1977): 56-92.
- "The Selling of Japan: Japanese Manipulation of Western Opinion, 1900-1905." Monumenta Nipponica 29, no.4 (Winter 1974): 415-438.
- "Japanese Involvement in Mongol Independence Movements, 1912-1919." Mongolia Society Bulletin 11, no.2 (Fall 1972): 1-32.